Inspired by Baked by Melissa Caramelized Onion Dip
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat; cook and stir the onions and shallots for 15 minutes or until tender. Reduce the heat to low, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the garlic, salt and pepper; continue cooking for 15 minutes longer or until the onions turn a deep golden brown color.
- Add water or broth and reduce until the liquid has evaporated. Add balsamic vinegar and remove from heat to cool to room temperature.
- Blend the cottage cheese in a food processor until smooth, then add the onion mixture and more salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.