Take your pasta to the next level and try it with a nutrient-rich butternut squash sauce your whole family will enjoy. Crisp up your favorite vegetables to add on top and you will have a complete meal that you will feel good about serving, even to picky eaters.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and add the chopped butternut squash. Cook for about 8-10 minutes until soft. Check if the squash is soft with a fork.
- In the meantime, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a pan. Once the oil is hot, add the chopped onion and chopped scallions to the pan. Let them crisp for about 30 seconds on each side and then remove them from the heat and place them on the side.
- In the same boiling water you used for the butternut squash, cook the pasta until soft according to the package directions and continue stirring. Reserve 1 cup of the pasta cooking water before draining.
- Once the squash is cooked, place it to the side to cool off. Once cool, add the squash, chopped onions, and scallions to a blender with 1 cup of milk and mix. While this is happening, add chopped broccoli to a pan and crisp them up to top your pasta with.
- If necessary, add additional milk and 1 cup of reserved water to make the pasta sauce smooth. Once it’s to your liking stop blending.
- Add the cooked pasta to a bowl along with the butternut squash sauce and combine.
- Top off your serving with the crisped broccoli, parmesan cheese, pepper seasoning, and serve!
Recipe developed by Alexa Carter.