- Gather two big pots, 2 quart jars with lids, a thermometer, a whisk and a small cooler.
- Place your jars, whisk and lids in a pot and fill with a few inches of water. Cover and heat to boiling for about 10 minutes.
- Pour 1/2 gallon milk into a stock pot and heat to 185 to 190 degrees. Fill a sink with ice water and place pot in ice bath. Cool milk to 120 degrees.
- Meanwhile, heat another pot of water above 110 degrees. This will go in your cooler. Whisk in 3 ounces of yogurt starter.
- Pour the milk into jars and add lids. Place jars in cooler full of heated water. Incubate for 4-6 hours, until the liquid milk in your jars has turned to yogurt when you tip them sideways. Ensure the temp stays around 110 degrees and add more hot water if necessary.
- After incubation, put jars in the fridge where yogurt will continue to firm up.
Recipe and photos by Katherine Younger of Kath Eats Real Food.