Looking for an easy way to make homemade ice cream by hand? Here is a fun way for kids to make an ice cream recipe from scratch, without a machine — using only their imagination and their own two hands. You can tailor the flavor of your homemade ice cream recipe with your favorite ingredients like fruits and berries.
- Put sugar, vanilla, and milk into small plastic bag. Remove as much air as possible from the bag and properly seal.
- Put salt into large plastic bag.
- Drop the small bag into the large plastic bag with salt in it. Add 18-20 ice cubes. Remove as much air as possible from the large bag and properly seal.
- Knead the bag for approximately 10 minutes, making sure ice in the larger bag surrounds the smaller bag.
- When a soft ice cream is formed, remove small bag from large bag, open and eat right out of bag with a plastic spoon. For extra fun, add fresh seasonal fruit or other favorite ice cream toppings.
It is important to use whole milk. Other types of milk take too long to freeze. Salt is also very important. Without it, the ice cream will not freeze. One pint of half and half can be added to a gallon of milk. This makes the ice cream richer and freezes faster.
Image and recipe courtesy of ‘Got Milk?’