August 19th is National Potato Day. Whether boiled, baked, mashed, roasted, or fried, potatoes are a staple ingredient in a variety of cultures and cuisines. Potatoes and dairy are an iconic pairing from the classic, buttery baked potato to outrageous, loaded cheese fries. Adding dairy to any meal increases its nutritional value with added calcium, protein, potassium, vitamin D, and more.
Below is a roundup of our favorite potato recipes that incorporate dairy.
Baked Potatoes & Potato Skins
Adding dairy, vegetables, and protein can take a simple baked potato to the next level.
- Twice Baked Potatoes
- Cheesy Stuffed Potatoes
- Buffalo Chicken Potato Skins
- Cheesy Veggie Potato Topping
Using real dairy in your mashed potatoes makes them creamier and more flavorful.
Enhance your fried potatoes by adding cheese.
- Waffle Fry Nachos with Thai Chicken
- Bacon Cheddar Poutine Tater Tots
- Cheddar Latkes
- Potato Cheese Croquettes – though croquettes are traditionally fried, this version is baked
Roasted potatoes are the perfect side dish to please a crowd.
- Zaatar Roasted Fingerling Potatoes with Yogurt Tahini Sauce
- Roasted Potato Wedges with Cheddar Sauce
Au Gratin and Scalloped Potatoes
The main difference between classic scalloped potatoes and au gratin is cheese. Traditional scalloped potatoes are made only with cream sauce while au gratin is topped in cheese and breadcrumbs. However, cheesy scalloped potatoes have become so popular that recipes are often indistinguishable from au gratin.
- Potato, Beet, and Cheddar Gratin
- Super Cheesy Bacon and Onion Potato Gratin
- Gruyere and Ham Potato Stacks
- Cheesy Sheet Pan Scalloped Potatoes
Potato salad is a barbecue staple. Add extra creaminess with Greek yogurt and experiment with different spices for a new flavor.
- Healthy Cajun Potato Salad
- Lemon Tarragon Potato Salad with Cabot Greek Yogurt
- Creamy Horseradish Potato Salad
Potatoes for Breakfast
Potatoes are good at any time of the day, so start your morning with them.
- Scrambled Egg Hash Brown Cups
- Rise and Shine Veggie Breakfast Skillet
- Potato, Cheddar, and Chorizo Breakfast Tacos
- Easy, Cheesy Breakfast Pizza
Warm potato soup is the ultimate comfort food during cold New England winters.
Sweet potatoes offer an entirely new flavor profile to complement dairy.
- Sweet Potato and Bacon Bisque
- Sweet Potato Empanadas with Garlic Red Pepper Sauce
- Southwest Sweet Potato Skins
- Sweet Potato Caramelized Onion Pizza
Other Ways to Combine Potatoes and Dairy
- Gnocchi and Sausage with Cheese
- Cheddar and Potato Pierogis
- Shepherd’s Pie with Cheddar Cheese Crust