I love the anticipation of a new season, and I’m especially grateful for fall in New England.
There’s something so exciting about a new school year, the start of football season, and watching the leaves turn from green to vibrant reds, yellows and oranges—eventually falling to the ground and begging for someone to create a pile and jump into them. I love the comfort and smell of cooking soups and stews, unpacking my cozy sweaters, and the return of pumpkin spice everything. This fall certainly looks different than previous years, but that’s even more reason to cherish moments with family and make new traditions.
Fall is a great time to celebrate local farmers and the delicious foods they produce. October 12th is National Farmers Day, and my family will be enjoying delicious dairy and thanking the dairy farm families of New England who work hard every day to produce a nutritious product for their communities. Dairy is local, fresh, and always in season—getting from a local dairy farm to your favorite grocery store within 48 hours.
Below are family-friendly activities and recipes to help you and your family celebrate all things dairy.
- Live Virtual Dairy Farm Tours – Join us for one of three live, virtual tours of a New England dairy farm (10/13, 10/20, 10/27). Using video chat technology, students will get a behind the scenes look into the barns, meet the calves and cows, and learn firsthand how dairy farmers take care of their cows, the land, environment, and their communities. Parents and kids of all ages are welcome to join any of the tours.
- Mess with Your Milk – Nine easy, DIY milk experiments to try with your little scientists.
- Mooga – Try out these cow-inspired yoga poses to improve flexibility, strength, and your overall mood.
- Milk Jug-O-Lantern & Cow Cookies – A fun Halloween-themed craft and recipe the whole family will enjoy.
- Apple-Cinnamon Whole-Grain Pancake Muffins
- Baked Apples with Cinnamon Yogurt Topping
- Stovetop Butternut Squash Shells and Cheese
- Pumpkin Spice Greek Yogurt Dip from the Lemon Bowl
- Apple and Cheese Quesadillas from Healthy Little Foodies
- Cardamon Cinnamon and Honey Moon Milk
- Halloween Themed Treats
New England Dairy and the dairy farm families of New England hope these activities and recipes will bring joy to you and your family and help you make memories together that will last a lifetime.