Learn how to set up a cheese board for the perfect night in. Our cheese board shopping list will help you get everything you need.
Here are a few tips for building the ultimate cheese board:
- Focus on a variety of flavors, textures, colors and shapes.
- Serve 2 to 4 ounces of cheese per guest.
- Include both savory and sweet accompaniments.
- Remember that we eat with our eyes first, so choose beautiful colors and set the cheese board up on a natural material like stone or wood.
- Incorporate cheese signs. It lets guests know what they’re eating while helping less adventurous palettes navigate their options with ease.
- Offer one knife for each cheese and leave space between each cheese so that flavors do not mingle.
- Bring cheeses to room temperature before serving to maximize flavor.
- Most perishable foods – including cheese – can be held above 40 degrees F for two hours before they need to be thrown out, with some hard cheeses being the exception.
Here is a sample grocery shopping list for making your cheese board:
- Blue cheese
- Cheddar cheese
- Monterey Jack
- Smoked Gouda
- Harbison (or another strong flavored cheese of your choice)
- Dark Chocolate
- Dried apricots
- Cherry tomatoes
Check out this great guide for additional pairing suggestions!