You may have heard that due to a cream cheese shortage, Kraft is offering to pay customers who do not make cheesecake this holiday season. But we have a counteroffer: pocket your $20 and turn to other dairy products to make your favorite holiday dishes.
Dairy farmers produce delicious dairy products that are part of our everyday lives, and this cream cheese shortage is highlighting that overlooked-need for a lot of people. Dairy products are often the go-to for our favorite recipes throughout the year, but especially at the holidays. That’s why we compiled some recipes to help you replace the cream cheese in your holiday recipes without compromising creaminess, flavor, and enjoyment.
When it comes to cheesecake, there are a few dairy options other than cream cheese you can try including Greek yogurt, ricotta, cottage cheese, and mascarpone.
- This Cottage Cheesecake Recipe from US Dairy replaces cream cheese with cottage cheese and Greek yogurt, so you won’t miss out on a creamy texture.
- Skew from the traditional cheesecake with tangy Lemon Greek Yogurt Cheesecake Bars from Kristine’s Kitchen.
- Keep it light and fluffy with this Ricotta Cheesecake from Food Network.
- Make your nonna proud with this ricotta cheesecake with a biscotti crust from Taste of Home.
- Edible Times swears using mascarpone instead of cream cheese will take your cheesecake to the next level.
- Keep things simple yet decadent with No-Bake Mascarpone Mini Cheesecakes from Fork Knife Swoon. You can even set up a toppings bar for guests to personalize their desserts.
It’s also possible to work around the cream cheese in popular savory holiday dishes.
- No cream cheese is needed for this Greek Yogurt Spinach-Artichoke Dip from Delish, but it still has plenty of cheesy flavor from shredded mozzarella and parmesan.
- It may not replace the classic cheeseball, but you can bring pimento cheese dip back in style with this Homemade Pimento Cheese Dip from Feast and Farm, no cream cheese required.
Dairy farmers work hard 365 days a year to produce nutritious, delicious dairy products. They are the lifeblood of our New England communities, and with the wide variety of products they make, we want to embrace all they have to offer. Dairy farmers need to think quickly, make sacrifices, and be resourceful on the farm. Let’s emulate their resilience in the kitchen as we innovate our favorite recipes during this year’s cream cheese shortage.